When a Muslim has already decided to marry the person of his or her choice, we arrange to perform the Nikah at the MCA Islamic Center. The process is outlined below:
- The couple marrying needs to get a marriage license from any city in the USA.
- MCA needs a copy of the official city license for their records.
- We arrange to get designated scholar to perform nikah within seventy two (72) hours from the time the copy of the marriage license is submitted to us.
- We require the presence of two Muslim witnesses for the groom and a guardian (wali) for the bride.
- The ideal guardian for the bride is the father of the bride. In the absence of a father for the bride, the person performing the nikah will guide the marrying couple to arrange possible alternatives depending on their options. If the options meet the Islamic requirements, the nikah will be performed.
- The nikah is usually performed in the prayer halls. If any other part of the MCA facility is used, the normal rental charges will apply.
- The groom with consultation and approval of the bride offers in writing the mahr or sadaq to the bride to be recorded on the certificate of marriage.
- The nikah details are recorded in a prescribed form It is signed by the bride, the groom, the guardian and the witnesses. A copy of that certificate is provided to the bride and to the groom. MCA keeps the copy for their records.
- The official city marriage license is then signed by the person performing the nikah. MCA representative will take the original license and mail it to the city for registration of the marriage.